The Tokugawa Memorial Foundation carries out the following programs in order to achieve the above mentioned objectives.
- The preservation, administration and exhibition of objects of historical significance, including documents, books, works of art, crafts, calligraphy, everyday and ceremonial ware, and costumes.
- The leasing and reproduction of the objects mentioned in (1)
- Research on Tokugawa- and Imperial- Japan and collection of relevant material.
- Promotion of studies on Tokugawa Japan through
- awarding the Tokugawa Prize for the best academic book on Tokugawa Japan published by Japanese authors in the preceding year
- awarding the Tokugawa Scholarship for promising doctoral thesis research by graduate students of Japanese universities
- Contribution to continuing education through
- delivering lectures by Foundation staff
- organizing classes on the interpretation of Japanese historical documents
- Publication of the output of the above mentioned activities (1) (4) and (5)
- Other activities as deemed necessary to achieve the above